Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Finally Free !

I am finally back to a normal heart rhythm ! It only took 2 CardioVersions and 2 hospital stays, but hey whatever works right?

The last 6 months have been the worst, to say the least.
September was the start of the A-Fib and multiple testing for a Watchman, only to be told I was a perfect candidate, but the Board chose not to give me one. I was referred to Mt. Sinai in New York, but the Electrophysiologist office neglected to send the records.  I discovered this in January. Unbelievably I am still waiting to hear from them. I chose to contact Shands Cardiovascular since they are only 4 hours away in Gainesville, FL. They visited me while I was hospitalized in February and did another TEE as well as a CardioVersion. I had a wonderfully normal heart rate for all of one night. The pharmacy didn't send up the meds to help it stay that way, and you guessed it I coughed the next morning... Back in A-Fib.

Another admission was scheduled for March. I was put on Sotalol for 5 doses with an EKG 2 hours after each one. Yes even at 2AM  ... grrr.. This was to make certain there were no prolonged QT waves in my heart, which could eventually be fatal. I then got another Cardioversion and have been normal (well for me) ever since.

In all this time, I lost My Boy Ozzi. Two days before my birthday. My 26 year lung transplant anniversary breezed by in a cloud along with my birthday. I'm still not ready to write about how much I miss my fella. He was my heart, my soul, and my inspiration to keep going. We were a team.
As the days went by, I recognized the need for a reason to wake up every day. Larry was away working and this house was too empty.



A friend knew I was looking - slowly- for a furry, wet nosed companion and recommended us to someone she knew. Nelson flew (literally) into our lives. I will admit 16 years out of the puppy stage, and this fella has been a joy to behold. He is into everything, explores the world via his nose and mouth ! The first commands he learned were "drop it" & "leave it".

He isn't Ozzi. Nothing will ever take his place in my heart. Nelson is pushing hard though. He's loving, tenacious, and stubborn all at the same time.



He's earned the nicknames wiggle butt, waddle butt, & low rider. He is a Skye Terrier and I honestly never thought to own another. They are difficult to come by. Owning a Skye Terrier was on my Bucket List, though I did have an Oath with Ozzi, & he promised me he'd live forever.

Now, to the latest dilemma, health wise. All these shocks to my heart plus a dermatologist visit triggered a case of Shingles. Oh yay !  Well, it also triggered what is known as Grovers Disease. Never heard of it ? You don't want to. It makes Shingles feel like a picnic in the park. Little bumps all over your torso front & back that will drive you mad with itching. I tried 2 Benadryl, Hydrocortisone cream, SSD cream & finally resorted to soaking it all with alcohol and then applying baby powder.
The Dermatologist called in a big tub of cream to help out with it all. She did offer something to help me sleep. I declined.. after all what's better than getting up every 20-30 minutes wanting to rip your skin off by scratching? It seems to be helping, but from what I read this could last up to 12 months. Seriously ?!?  It's caused by Stress, Sweat, Sun & Heat.. Great for us Southerners. 

Honestly, if this lasts 12 months- the stress of wanting it gone will guarantee it stays for another 12.

At least I no longer feel intense pain when a soft T-shirt rubs my stomach.. 

Have a great day !! Oh ! and don't stress too much- we might end up Grovers buddies  😎😎




1 comment:

  1. wonderful news and such a great bio...Nelson was one of the newest best things for you...HUGS & LOVE

    ReplyDelete