Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Slow Journey

As a kid I always heard you have to put one foot in front of the other before you can get anywhere.  Meaning you must take that first step.

Having mentally psyched myself up all day Friday to hop on that fiery steed (treadmill) & ride into battle,  I did just that after the evening walk with the boys. Dreading the plantar fasceitis pain in the morning I was determined to try again.  Plus I was hoping to regain that blissful sleep I longed for from released endorphins.

Nook ready I began my walk. Was this only 2.5 mph? I was walking that post transplant.  Wow! I realized my endurance and stamina had taken a seriously long vacation and left me to pick up the pieces.  Armed with a good book, I walked 30 minutes.  All the while reminding myself I used to hit 90 and reset the timer.

I jumped the first hurdle ! Now to continue!  Day 2 I rode my stationary bike, which is like taking a spear to the knees, but I jumped that too !  I took my IV out yesterday so now I'm looking at the multi-station gym with squinty eyes hoping to scare it  into submission.

It's taken a longtime to get here, so the climb out will be too.  But, to keep honoring my donors and their families,  it is a mental must for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment