Thursday, October 24, 2013

My New Life 10/23/1991

The rest of the story on that fateful night is:

My Air Ambulance arrived in Pittsburgh with a very worried Doctor onboard. The customs officials had taken so much of the precious time I needed to make my "transplant window", that we landed at the airport at the exact time I was supposed to be on the table -open - and ready for new lungs..
More delays  ....

I still hear the ambulance wail as we made our way to the hospital.

In the ER the Anesthesiologist and a Transplant Coordiantor were waiting for me.  I found out that the surgeons were "harvesting" the organs in another city. Yes, back then they used the term harvesting, I know it's different now. More politically correct, but this is my story and this is how it happened.
As I lay on the stretcher we chatted away about non-essential topics. We then went into telling jokes.
I spied the curtain moving, the Anesthesiologist changed facial expressions and looked down at me.
"Ready to go?"  Excitedly, "Is it a go?" "It's a go, they're on their way back" " Let's get this show on the road !"  "Well, you have to tell me the punch line before I can put you under ?"

And that is how I went into a life saving lung transplant.  Telling jokes..  If we cannot laugh through our troubles - we will cry hysterically until we destroy ourselves.

Many have been astonished that I did not ask for "Last Rites" just in case. Honestly, the thought never occured to  me. I'd had 18 months to  think, and get my life right with God. I felt this was all in His hands as he guided the surgeons, nurses and finally gave that torch to me. I thought and still do think, that I am in a win-win situation.. If I was allowed to live, I had more time with family, friends and making memories. If I did not live, I was going home, no more oxygen, struggling to breathe, fatigue, I would be whole again ! Who could argue with those odds?

The next thing I remember is waking up on October 25th.. and that is an adventure in itself...

No comments:

Post a Comment