Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chronic Rejection

        For some reason unknown to me, this topic has been on my mind lately. I certainly hope it is not a harbinger of the doom to come. I can honestly say I have endured chronic rejection with my first double lung transplant, and have NO desire to be tested in this way again. I decided to do a quick search on the topic, with respect to lungs, and found numerous medical updates on the net, literally filled with doom and gloom.
Clinical aspects aside, not one touched on what a patient actually feels at this time in their life.
        Chronic rejection in a lung transplant feels like a death sentence-mentally, physically and yes emotionally. Many times I described it just like that.. Before I actually knew the true meaning of those words. I can still vividly remember the day I was told. I was at work when the call came in. Thankfully, someone saw my expression and stood behind my chair. If not there would have been the sight of me & the chair gliding across the room.. I fell into my chair speechless, mind totally blank unable to process the words. What now? I knew I was short of breath, but this? The feeling is similar to being first diagnosed. That helpless feeling of not knowing what to do. Knowing in my subconscious what was about to happen in my future-or lack of.
          To be totally honest, I was woefully unprepared for the next few years of my life. Internet searches tell of the morbidity rate in chronic lung transplant rejection, so this was something else to add to my thoughts. At 40 years old, one rarely thinks of "final arrangements". This I had to do because it was the last thing I wanted my parents to worry about afterwards. They had watched me struggle and survive enough. I made plans for a month long visit to UPMC for treatment and a re-eval for possibly listing for another transplant.  To say the least, chronic rejection treatments back then left alot to be desired.  I remember having a death grip on the bed rails, screaming with pain in my knees, while the wonderful nurses ran for something to knock me out. And then just when we thought I'd crossed the hurdle- the serum sickness started... Oh what a joy... I'll leave that descruption to your imagination. Believe me, it was not pretty.  I finally left UPMC in a wheelchair, my legs too weak due to the knew pain. I was also denied a relist, due to kidney function.
           I geared up to find a center who would consider me for a relist along with all the other issues I was tackling. I found one. A wonderful center, and I still go there today. UF is MY comfort zone. Back to the story.  My knees were so weak, if I sat on the floor-forget getting up. I had to crawl to a chair and using my arms lift myself up into the chair, in order to eventually stand. I actually got stuck in the bath tub...alone.. until I figured a way to gt myself out. It's funny now, but believe me, not when you're freezing  and pruning at the same time.  I fell in the balcony to my apartment and couldn't get up. I waited until someone came home from work, sunburnt and almost out of oxygen before I could get help. Sweeping floors was an all day affair, for one room only. I had a bar stool and my broom. I'd sweep 2 tiles and sit to catch my breath. Move the chair, sweep...you get the picture. Literally an all day affair. I had lost so much weight trying to breathe, a light wind almost blew me over. Thank goodness Mom was there at the time to catch me.

        I would sit outside each morning watching the sunrise, drinking my cup of coffee and wonder how many of those beautiful scenes I'd enjoy. I told everyone that God was whispering through the palm trees, it wasn't the wind blowing. I reveled in all the scenes I could. This is what kept me going mentally.
        UF kept me going physically. I had an exercise program that would make an olympian jealous. Well, you get the idea. I went to rehab 3 days a week, had (still have) a multi station gym and treadmill at home. On weekends I would walk the mall. I knew exactly where each bench was to sit down and catch my breath. Every clinic vist, every three months my physical progress was checked. I had to be able to leg press 80% of my body weight. When I finished I was actually lifting 10 pounds more than my body weight.
Psychologically, I was told to stop doing my spirometry at home. Watching those numbers drop daily is so defeating. I already knew what was happening. This was showing me the undeniable proof. Thanks to the transplant team at UF I've learned that if I can exercise when I'm dying and on oxygen, I can do it when I'm not. 
        I remember many times wondering why I ever had the first transplant at all. Surely my original symptoms were nothing like this. But those thoughts have to be stopped. My original disease had not progressed that far, soI couldn't realistically say this. Plus, I had enjoyed 9 years of life that I would never have had. I competed in the 1994 US Transplant Games, hiked El Yunque in Puerto Rico, and so many other wonderful things I would have only imagined if I had not taken the chance on a lung transplant. I went back to work, attained goals and dreams all through lung transplantation. I remember saying after my first transplant that I'd never have a second. How wrong I was. I would not trade one part of my life to go back and change my mind.Good, bad, ugly, or otherwise.
         My biggest fear is that I will once again hear those life altering words: You have chronic rejection.
I know the outcome, but would rather spend my time not thinking about it and living my life.
To my friends facing chronic rejection:  I feel your pain, I remember the emotions. I'm here for you.
And I'm praying for you to desperately get the chance. I'm also promoting organ donation and research to help us all.

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. My husband is a lung transplant patient. He received his transplant July 11, 2008. He was just recently in the hospital and the diagnosis was Chronic rejection. He is not as proactive as you have been. He mostly sits around the house watching T.V. He doesn't participate in his old hobbies. Which interestingly enough included wire wrap jewelry making. I feel like he is just giving up. I wish that I could inspire him to try harder. I don't know how much to push him, because I really don't know how much he can do. He will have a lung function test on Monday 11/14/11. Xrays show deterioration at the edges of his lungs. Thanks again for your blog. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you fell. My Dad had his lung transplant nearly 2 years ago. He was more active when he was ill. He sits watching tv all day,he gets drunk in the pub to the point he can barley stand. It's horrible for me because I gave up 9 years of my life to care for him and he is slowly destroying himself. Not all transplant story's are good ones. Hard part is one day I will go through all of this again with my partner who has cystic fibrosis

      Delete
    2. My mother had a double lung transplant on oct-13-2002 and back then she was 55 but now she is 65 going on 66 and at the time of the surgery the dr. said that my mother was the oldest person to have a double lung transplant and survive it. My mother is now going thru Chronic rejection and has a hole in her esophagus and has hi heedle hernia. I would like to know is there anyone older then my mother that has has survived Chronic Rejection? please answer back. from stacy.thomas8273@yahoo.com

      Delete
    3. My mother had a double lung transplant on oct-13-2002 when she was 55 years old and now she is 65 going on 66 and now she is going thru Chronic rejection and has a hole in her esophagus and high heedle hernia.At the time of her transplant the dr. said she was the oldest person to have a double lung transplant and survive it. Im curious is there a chronic rejection survivor out there who is older then my mother?

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I don't know if anyone still maintains this blog? I too have been diagnosed with chronic rejection. I had my double lumg transplant in Oct. '08, and acquired CR last spring......by August my doctors told my wife and me that I had only 6 to 12 months left...maybe 18. Being a tough guy, (heck, I am only 55!), I said, maybe 24 months...my doctor smiled and said maybe 24. (I don't think she really meant it as she turned to my wife and said, more likely 12). I had a rapid decline in FEV1, quickly required O2 at home again. My doctors had begged me to try Photopheresis, but I knew it was a Hail Mary Pass at best, & would not cure this. They admit, nothing will. So they told us to get my affairs in order.
    I am trying hard to stay positive. I have a wife & 4 grown kids...I think I am sometimes so,positive I am in denial. I just can't see myself dying! Heck they have told my wife on 4 different occasions that I wouldn't make,it, yet I did! I do realize, I may just have runout of lives!
    I just wondered how anyone else is,handling this. I have tried to talk to family and friends, but no one can talk about it. Mi feeli need to discuss this or I am going to explode! Otherwise I keep pretending it's not,happening, despite my repeated Pneumonias and hospitalizations.
    Oh well. God bless you all.
    Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
    Please know my prayers are with all those who suffer this debilitating and irreversible sentence.

    Sincerely,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve! How are you doing now? My mom is a double lung transplnt recipient and I am looking out to talk with fellow transplant friends!

      Jacinda ~

      Delete
    2. Hey Steve, I hope you are doing well?
      My 20 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with chronic lung rejection. Any chance you would call me?
      Mario 630 254 7583. Or email Rio12@att.net
      Thank you

      Delete
    3. Hoping Steve did the photopheresis. It is helping my husband immensely.

      Delete
  3. Steve,
    I am still maintaining the blog as time and Dr visits permit.
    2012 was a bad year for me health wise, but I am always available to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bette not sure if you remember me. We were in San Francisco for a conference on inhaled cyclosporine. I was just diagnosed with chronic rejection. Still trying to come to terms with it. You are so right when you indicated it is like a death sentence and it affects you mentally, physically and emotionally. I just want to run and hide but there is no place to hide.

      Delete
    2. How are you handling it ? I remember the conference, but your initials escape me..

      Delete
  4. Hi there
    . I recieved my double lung transplant in 2009 November after a hefty 26 years battle against Cysitc Fibrosis. Last year I was diagnosed with chronic lung rejection BIOS.
    Those words scared the bejesus out of me, but then I decided this was just another chapter in my life. My lung function was 115% at my best post transplant. It is now about 90% but currently I am working 4 jobs, I'm a Make up artists and hairdresser.
    I exercise, I plan to go travelling around europe with my long term boyfriend in June and although no transplant patient wants to hear those words, there areonly two ways one can go.
    EIther - give up and doom yourself, or look at it as a kick up the backside to do what you want. I know of people who have been diagnosed with CR who are seven years down the line. Sure times will get tougher, but whats the use in thinking about them.
    I see that I have a big advantage over others, I know my clock is ticking and I hear it a little louder now but I also know that I can do WHATEVER I want to do.

    Kirsty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love u Geddes u are amazing xxx

      Delete
    2. Kirsty I too was like that. I worked full-time for Disney Cruise Line, part-time at the parks and full-time college working on a PhD.
      Mine was caught too late. As my post stated.
      It was my intention to let others know that WE ALL have the strength to make it through this.
      I still exercised 2 hours a day to stay on the list . and today with all the issues 22 years later- I am still exercising to keep it all at bay,

      Delete
  5. That is the best way to deal with chronic rejection ! We probably each have a "bucket list " whether verbally or written. Why wait ? We didn't have this transplant to stick with the norm right .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to connect with y'all. My husband had pulmonary fibrosis and had a double lung transplant Nov 2010, chronic rejection now. He doesn't know that it's very serious. Our doctor has not given us any gloom and doom vibes. Please write me at beautycat1000@gmail..com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caregiver... there is always hope !
      I apologize for my delay in responding to you. Blogger sent me no alerts of comments and I was pretty I'll myself for awhile.

      Delete
    2. Caregiver... there is always hope !
      I apologize for my delay in responding to you. Blogger sent me no alerts of comments and I was pretty I'll myself for awhile.

      Delete
  7. Is there a lung transplant chronic rejection society? My husband had his transplant Nov 2010 and now has CR. Is there hope? beautycat1000@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son 37 now had a double lung transplant in 3/2012 6mos.later doing a Broch he had a stroke b/p dropped doing procedure..Thing went down hill from there.the infections, hospitalizations, ICU ....2/2016 he was told he's in CR. He's hospice sats @ 85% now and dropping.The coughing is unbarriable. He sign a DNR 12/5/2016...Its wasnt easy for him .He said Ma Im tried....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi All,

    Last comment was almost 3 years ago so I hope people still read this blog, its very important to share one's experiences with others. My mom had a double lung transplant in February of 2016 and approximately one year later she was diagnosed with chronic rejection. They told us that on avg people only live about 3 yrs after CR but that it would be less for my mom. We are still in denial and our faith is strong but it's very difficult not to think of the worse. Is there any hope??

    ReplyDelete
  10. are any of you still alive? I've been in chronic rejection for a few years now... feeling like i'm entering my last one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom had a double lung transplant in 2003. She has been in ICU for two weeks on a vent. She is swelling something awful. She has pneumonia and they say her lungs are in rejection. I dont know what is going to happen. I guess I just wanna know once you go into rejection can you come out of it. Also has anyone experienced this swelling that is awful? Will her lungs still function? Or does she need to have another transplan. Thank you any advise would be appreciated. Cheli Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my double long transplant at age 50 1/2 years old January 19, 2008 at Houston Methodist Hospital Houston Texas I am in chronic rejection and I’m feeling fear of what goes on at the end how would that feels

    ReplyDelete